11 May Old Fashioned Week: Honey You So Sweet Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
Old Fashioned Week: Honey You So Sweet Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
One of the many pleasures of our evening serving old fashioneds on K Street was being introduced to a new distiller in our general area. The guys at Baltimore Whiskey Company were kind enough to drive down 295 in rush hour to deliver some freshly bottled samples of their brand new spirits to use in our Old Fashioned Bar. Since they just started distilling in November, they don’t have any whiskey ready yet; that’ll take another few years (can’t wait!). In the meantime, they brought us their Shot Tower Gin and Ginger Apple Liqueur (which we’ll use in tomorrow’s recipe).
I didn’t know a subtle wallop was possible, but that’s what BWC have produced with the Shot Tower gin. It’s over-proofed, with 50% alcohol by volume instead of the usual 40; and that extra 10% definitely makes its presence known at the front of your sip. But it’s followed by a nice floral touch, and a pleasing citrus peel finish. In our old fashioned recipe, we used grapefruit bitters and added muddled lemon to accentuate the citrus notes.
Honey You So Sweet Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
- The Spirit: 2 oz BWC Shot Tower gin
- The Bitters: 2-3 dashes grapefruit bitters
- The Sugar: 3 tsp honey
- The Water: ice, and (optional) seltzer to taste
- The controversial addition: slice of lemon
- Add the lemon, bitters, and honey to the bottom of an old fashioned glass and muddle.
- Add ice.
- Pour in the gin and stir gently to mix.
- (optional) Top with seltzer to taste.