25 Apr Kumo No Chowa Cocktail Recipe
Kumo No Chowa Cocktail Recipe
With a mere 18 months in the city, a ton of restaurants and bars to try, and new ones opening all the time, there are very few places to which we’ve made a return trip. Acqua al 2 is one of them, for a number of reasons:
- it’s almost the very closest restaurant to our apartment–our preference for being close to home is well-documented;
- it has a nice patio, with charming tables and chairs made from old sewing machines;
- it has well-executed, high quality Italian food, which is the favorite comfort food for one of us;
- and, especially unusually for an Italian place, it has excellent cocktails, sharing a building and a bar program with the speakeasy Harold Black.
On a recent summer-like evening, the patio of Acqua al 2 seemed like the perfect place to meet a visiting relative for dinner. It being at the tail end of the cherry blossom festival, they had this Japanese cherry themed cocktail on their menu. We appreciated the way they incorporated cherry into a whiskey drink, making for something that was fruity without being especially sweet. It’s now off the menu, but Maurizio the bartender was kind enough to share the recipe with us.
- 3/4 oz Japanese whiskey–they used Nikka Taketsuru
- 3/4 oz Cocchi Rosa
- 3/4 oz rye whiskey–they used Old Overholt
- 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur–they used Lazzaroni
- 1/4 oz cherry syrup (combine 1 part cherry juice, 1 part sugar. Let sit, shaking occasionally, until dissolved)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- cherry foam (see below)
- apple blossom, for garnish
- Combine all liquid ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Add ice to the level of the liquid.
- Stir until the ice is noticeably melted.
- Fill cocktail glass 1/2 way with cherry foam.
- Pour in the chilled liquid mix.
How to Make Cherry Foam
- If you have a whipped cream dispenser–it’s super easy.
- Combine 1 cup of cherry juice and 1 egg white in your dispenser.
- Charge the dispenser.
- Chill for 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have a whipped cream dispenser–it’s still not bad.
- Combine 1 cup of cherry juice and 1 egg white in a cocktail shaker.
- Don’t add ice.
- Shake as hard as you can for as long as you can keep it up.