05 May Cinco dey Mayo Cocktail Recipe: Michelada Numero 5
Cinco dey Mayo Cocktail Recipe: Michelada Numero 5
I can’t say that this is factually true, but the Michelada feels like it might have been the ultimately happy result of a moment or two of poor impulse control. I imagine a day so hot that even a crisp, chilled Mexican beer didn’t taste refreshing; so someone put ice in theirs, thus watering down a drink that was already well on the light side. In a desperate attempt to recover–and maybe even add–some flavor, they began reaching for whatever was nearby, condiments and seasoning mostly, and throwing it in the beer. And, what do you know, it worked. The perfect cocktail for a scorching summer day was born.
It’s unlikely to be hot enough today to call for a Michelada, but it’s May 5th; so, why not?
In our version numero 5, we use Dos Equis Amber, to bring some color and some depth. We also throw in a smidge of tequila, to boost the alcohol content. Of course, we add our own blend of condiments and seasoning as well, perhaps a tad more deliberately considered than whatever was closest to hand.
- 4 oz Mexican beer–ideally XX Amber, or Negra Modelo if you want to be fancy
- .5 oz silver tequila
- .5 tsp horseradish
- .5 tsp of hot sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of cumin
- a generous dash of celery salt
- lime wheel (for garnish)
- Mix the spices on the bottom of a highball glass.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, hot sauce, and horseradish and stir until well blended.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add the beer.
- You may need to give it another good stir, to mix the spices and sauces well into the beer.