12 Drinks of Christmas 2016: Mediterranean Mulled Wine Cocktail Recipe
It’s the time of the year for holiday decorations, twinkling lights, warm spices, and a rolling series of parties, gatherings, and celebrations. For the second year in a row, we’ll be adding to the festivities with twelve drinks to make all of those parties just a little merrier and brighter.
Monday’s cider put us into a mulling mood. So, we thought we would add some wine to the stovetop. It’s as rich, warm, and spicy as the cider, but with an extra little kick. Rather than the more usual brown sugar, we use Wild Roots Apothecary’s lemon cardamom syrup, for a burst of zest and spice. We also add some Amaro Averna, for a touch of bitter softness.
Make this one by the bottle. More than most anything else, mulled wine is meant to be shared.
- 1 bottle cheap red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup Amaro Averna
- 1/4 cup lemon cardamom syrup–as we mention above, from Wild Roots. If you can’t get a hold of Wild Roots in time, add several cardamom pods, 2 Tbsp of brown sugar, and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- zest of 1/2 orange, in large strips
- zest of 1/2 lemon, in large strips
- Combine all but the brandy and amaro in a large saucepan.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the brandy and amaro and keep over heat just long enough to warm.
- Ladle into mugs.